Sunday, March 28, 2010

My favorite place...


....Florence, Italy.

The love of my life. My home for a short 6 weeks, however I long for it to be my home forever. There is nothing better than waking up to the smell of espresso and fresh baked croissants, and hearing the bustling of local markets set up their fresh fruit stands.

While some argue that Florence is not one of the "must see" places in Italy, I could spend hours explaining why it is the only place you need to see.

The beauty of the Duomo, the magnificent art at the Uffizi, the small narrow streets, the ability to leave the city and be in the beautiful hills filled of castles and vineyards within 20 minutes all make Firenze the gem of Italy.

Not to mention the cuisine of Tuscany known for local produce, cheeses and grilled meats. The most famous Florentine staple being the Beef Steak Florentine, which cannot even be described in full, it simply must be tried and savored.

If that isn't enough, the Tuscan region is known for it's rich Chianti. And while I personally do not enjoy red wine, in Florence Chianti was all we drank. I'm not sure if my enjoyment came from simply being there in the moment, or the pure fact that Florentine Chianti is that superior. The later is what which I am thoroughly convinced it is.


But above all it is the culture of Florence that makes me wish I was there everyday. The markets filled with people shopping for fresh cheese, produce and meets for the night. The guitar player sitting outside my window serenading passerbys, even though we pretended he was there just for us. The gelato at every corner. The enjoyment of a long meal filled with endless amounts of flowing wine, amazing service and seats in small alleyways. A nightcap moretti beer at the local bar on a lit piazza. An apertivo on the Arno with live musicians in the background.

There is nothing better than a summer day and night in Florence. If I find it I will let you know, otherwise go find out for yourself as you will never forget it....ever.

In the meantime, I am finding a way to go journey back.....










No comments:

Post a Comment